Henry St. George, Assistant Postmaster at Pomeroy, Washington, was born in New York in 1851. His father, Henry St. George, was an English merchant; his mother was Henrietta St. George. Fifth in a family of eight children, young St. George was educated in the public schools of his native city, graduating from the high school in 1809. On the completion of his studies he removed to Indiana and became a clerk for his uncle at Portland and at other places in that State until 1873, when he enlisted in the Regular Army, Company G, Second Regiment of Artillery, and was sent to Mobile, Ala.
Being honorably discharged at the close of his term of enlistment, he located in Idaho, and from thence migrated to Washington Territory. After a year at Dayton he came to Pomeroy, where he has ever since resided. He engaged at first in the hotel business, and after three years became a sewing-machine agent. Two years later he became Assistant Postmaster, which position he has ever since held. He was married in 1881 to Mrs. Martha J. Pomeroy, the “widow” of Joseph Pomeroy. He has a pretty city residence, is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and a Republican in Politics. He is one of Pomeroy’s highly esteemed and enterprising men.